North America is eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Giulia lineup to be available by Alfa Romeo, though the arrival dates and MSRP maintain a mystery (an estimated $70,000 for the Quadrifoglio model was stated last year, but there are still no updates or specifics). What is sure to be a beautiful combination of luxury and sport, LuxeGetaways is excited to see more from Alfa Romeo in the coming months. For 2017, the Giulia Quadrifoglio, Giulia and Giulia Ti models will further highlight the first of a new-generation of vehicles embodying Alfa Romeo’s La meccanica delle emozioni (the mechanics of emotion) spirit, world-class performance, advanced technologies, seductive Italian style and an exhilarating driving experience to the premium mid-size sedan segment.
“All-new from the ground up, the 2017 Giulia lineup marks Alfa Romeo’s return to the heart of the premium sedan segment and the next chapter of the brand’s rich 105-year heritage,” said Reid Bigland, Head of Alfa Romeo – North America. “From the new Giulia and Giulia Ti models, to the ultra-high performance Quadrifoglio model, each of our Alfa Romeo sedans deliver class-leading power and handling, the pedigree of incredible technology and race-inspired performance, plus design and style that could only be crafted in Italy.”
Giulia: Three Models Available…
Building on the excitement of the ultra-high-performance 505-horsepower Giulia Quadrifoglio model that debuted at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November, the all-new Giulia and Giulia Ti (Turismo Internazionale) models continue to expand Alfa Romeo’s perfect balance of engineering and emotion to the heart of the premium sedan segment with an Italian designed and crafted sport sedan that is driver focused.
Giulia and Giulia Ti Models: The all-new 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia and Giulia Ti models exude Italian style, craftsmanship and performance, all while delivering a comprehensive list of standard features, including an all-new, all-aluminum, 2.0-liter, direct-injection turbo engine with eight-speed automatic transmission delivering a class-leading, standard 276 horsepower, class-exclusive carbon fiber driveshaft, dual exhaust system with bright tips, leather seating, 7-inch full-color driver information display (DID), Alfa-tainment featuring a 6.5-inch or 8.8-inch industry-first hidden widescreen infotainment display, Alfa DNA selector with Dynamic, Natural and Advanced Efficiency vehicle behavior modes, sport-inspired flat-bottom steering wheel with integrated push button start, along with keyless-go with passive entry and remote start. For more capability, the innovative Alfa Q4 all-wheel-drive (AWD) system is also available on Giulia and Giulia Ti models, while available Sport, Luxury and Performance packages will further add to this Alfa Romeo model’s performance and style.
Giulia Quadrifoglio: As the “halo” model in the lineup, Giulia Quadrifoglio highlights Alfa Romeo’s performance and motorsport knowhow with a record-setting 7:39 Nürburgring lap time – the fastest ever by a four-door production sedan. The beating heart of this ultra-high performance sedan is an all-aluminum, direct-injection, 2.9-liter V-6 bi-turbo engine, delivering a best-in-class 505 horsepower, as well as earning the title of the most powerful Alfa Romeo production car engine ever and the quickest with a class-leading 0-60 mph acceleration in 3.8 seconds. The Giulia Quadrifoglio features exclusive enhancements for maximum performance, including high-performance front and rear fascias and carbon fiber lightweight materials, including hood, active aero front splitter, rocker panel moldings and rear deck-lid spoiler. Additionally, the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio offers staggered fitting 19 x 8.5-inch (front) and 19 x 10-inch (rear) forged alloy wheels wrapped with Pirelli P Zero Corsa three-season high-performance tires. Inside, the Giulia Quadrifoglio includes performance front seats, featuring 12-way power, including 4-way lumbar plus front adjustable thigh support.
Further features include Quadrifoglio-exclusive leather-wrapped steering wheel with accent stitching and performance contours; leather-wrapped instrument panel with accent stitching; carbon fiber interior trim; and bright door scuff plates with “Quadrifoglio” graphics. Advanced technology features unique to the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio model include a four-mode Alfa DNA Pro selector that adds Race mode, torque vectoring differential, high-performance Brembo six-piston front and four-piston rear brake caliper system, Quadrifoglio-tuned adaptive suspension, Quadrifoglio instrument cluster with 200 mph speedometer, cylinder deactivation system, Blind-spot Monitoring, Rear Cross Path detection, vehicle alarm and 35-watt bi-xenon headlamps offering auto-leveling technology, adaptive cornering and headlamp washers.
Quadrifoglio: Superstition Becomes Super Performance…
The history of the Quadrifoglio dates back to the 1923 Targa Florio, one of the oldest and most famous racing events of all time – a dangerous and thrilling open road endurance race held in the mountains of Sicily. Leading up to the 1923 racing season, Ugo Sivocci – an incredibly superstitious driver – was a perennial second-place finisher, more often than not behind one of his Alfa teammates. So, going into the Targa Florio race and in an effort to banish his bad luck, the superstitious Sivocci decided to paint a four-leaf clover on the side of his 1923 Targa Florio RL. Sure enough, in his first race with the green four-leaf clover, or Quadrifoglio, on his car, Sivocci won.
However, a few weeks after the Targa Florio victory, Sivocci was testing a new Alfa car at the legendary Monza racetrack. There had been no time to paint Sivocci’s good luck symbol on the car and tragically he crashed and lost his life – and a legend was born. The four-leaf clover on Sivocci’s car was encased in a square box, while all future clovers were encased in a triangle, with the missing point symbolizing the loss of Ugo Sivocci. From that day forward, the four-leaf clover became the symbol of all Alfa Romeo race cars and later the mark of Alfa’s high performance street vehicles.
Overview: A Snapshot of the Giulia Lineup…
- Rebirth of the brand – the all-new 2017 Giulia is the first of eight all-new Alfa Romeos debuting through 2020, and embodies the brand’s La meccanica delle emozioni (the mechanics of emotion) spirit
- Giulia nameplate reflects a 55-year heritage of Alfa Romeo’s lightweight, performance sedan tradition and over 105 years of brand history, carving its legend on road courses around the globe
- Alfa Romeo Giulia and Giulia Ti models deliver seductive Italian style and craftsmanship to the premium mid-size sedan segment
- All-new, all-aluminum, 2.0-liter, direct-injection turbo engine with eight-speed automatic transmission delivers a class-leading, standard 276 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft. of torque, allowing it to launch from 0-to-60 miles per hour (mph) in less than 5.5 seconds, and achieve a top speed of 149 mph
- The innovative Alfa Q4 all-wheel-drive system offers the Giulia and Giulia Ti models even more all-season capability and performance
- New eight-speed automatic transmission, with available column-mounted paddle shifters, is designed for enthusiasts with gear shifts in less than 100 milliseconds
- As the “halo” model in the lineup, Giulia Quadrifoglio highlights Alfa Romeo’s performance and motorsport knowhow with best-in-class 505 horsepower, 0-60 mph in 3.8 seconds and a record-setting 7:39 seconds around the legendary Nürburgring
- Near perfect 50/50 weight distribution, segment-leading torsional rigidity and the most direct steering ratio on the market, thanks to Giulia’s all-new rear-wheel-drive architecture
- Exclusive to Giulia Quadrifoglio, state-of-the-art technologies, including torque vectoring, active aero front splitter and Alfa DNA Pro mode selector with Race mode, combine to maximize the all-new Giulia’s driving exhilaration
Source & Photos Courtesy Alfa Romeo [FCA]